Match Report – Western Knights v Mandurah City FC – Round 18 – 23 August 2014

By August 25, 2014 Uncategorized No Comments

Western Knights SC 4


Mandurah City FC 5


Written by Daniel Bodycoat


Western Knights FC travelled down to Mandurah in Round 18 of the All Flags State League Division 1 competition. The game was very exciting but ultimately the Knights would leave disappointed.


A drive by Paul Lloyd created the first chance as he went past multiple defenders before forcing the keeper to make a fantastic save. Lloyd was denied again as he spun and shot just outside the box.


Mirco, however, finally managed to beat the goalkeeper with a beautiful curling shot that nestled in the bottom corner.


Mandurah equalized quickly though with a freekick that may have possibly been saved by the Knights’ keeper.


The game was end to end in the second half with both sides having opportunities to get the lead. Mandurah were the first to capitalise to the shock of the Western Knights fans that had travelled all the way to the Hyundai Stadium.


The response was quick to the relief of many after Jamie Ricks was put through one on one with the keeper but his shot hit the post. Luckily, Ivan Zuvela was there to tap the ball over the line.


Ricks grabbed his deserved goal after battling in the box to get the space to shoot. The score was now 2-3.


A smooth dribble by Mirco, followed by a cross to Ricks, gave him his second goal of the game. The 2-goal cushion that the Knights had managed would quickly be diminished.


A very soft penalty to Mandurah was awarded and the striker held his nerve to put the score to 3-4. After a few minutes they drew the game due to some poor defending by Western Knights.


The game sealed just before the referee blew the final whistle when Mandurah were given a weak freekick and they stepped up and scored.


Best wishes to Luka Jukic who sustained an unfortunate injury early in the contest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Registrations for 2018 Open in January