Match Report – Western Knights v UWA Nedlands FC – Round 9 – 14 June 2014

By June 16, 2014 Seniors No Comments

In Round 9 of the All Flags State League Division 1 Competition, Western Knights faced UWA Nedlands at Nash Field. They would look to continue their winning ways at home. It took a while for both teams to get control of the ball and begin to pass with real quality. Jamie Ricks after a number of starts was able to capitalise on his opportunities and score, proving the coaches right. The opening goal came from a cross on the left that was volleyed into the net. UWA struggled to create a clear chance or even get into their attacking half.

Some absolutely woeful defending by UWA lead Ricks to extend the lead with an open goal from 2 yards out after a very hopeful cross. The second half brought the referee into the spotlight after a number of questionable decisions, akin to the officiating in the opening games of the World Cup. Western Knights were unable to clear the ball out of their box early in the opening periods of the half and UWA capitalised to score their first goal.

Moments later, lacklustre defending on the Knights’ behalf and an inability to clear the ball once again resulted in UWA equalising to the disbelief of all the Western Knights supporters. Despite the Knights’ dominance they were in danger of dropping all 3 points.

Western Knights knew they were in trouble if they didn’t change things around and so after a number of substitutions they began to regain control of the game and as a result, Paul Lloyd was given a half chance but the volley rattled the bar.

The Knights’ players, recognising the need to push higher, threw caution to the wind in an attempt to rally and an extremely late corner nearly gave them the win. A bitterly disappointing result for a team, which seemed certain to win comfortably during many stages of the game but the final score would be 2-2.

Written by Daniel Bodycoat

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Registrations for 2018 Open in January